Recipes for a (lazy) Cheapskate - Super Easy Salsa


I've got a bunch of tomatoes from our garden that I better use quick or they'll go bad. Those first two are from the farmer's market and I'm going to harvest their seeds and then use them.




Today, I'm going to take some of them and make a basic salsa.



For spice, I roasted these jalapenos and yellow peppers on my barbecue last weekend.

After harvesting the seed, the remains of the heirlooms go in the blender. See those pieces on the bottom that look like peaches? That's actually the yellow tomato from above.



I toss in two more of the largest tomatoes from the garden, the chiles, a quarter of a white onion, and some salt. Set on the "sauce" setting and let 'er rip.



Here's the result.



After a taste test, I think I need a little more heat, so I put in one of these little fire chiles that my wife's aunt grows in her backyard. They are really hot. I wish I knew what they are called but I don't. I did harvest some seeds a few months ago and now have a few plants in my garden.



My son, Tim, comes over for a taste test.  What do you think, Tim?



If you'd like to try, just get some tomatoes, onions, chiles, and salt. Throw 'em in a blender and add salt and/or chiles until you get your desired heat and taste.

Darryl
Copyright 2012 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Very nice idea with the blender! Especially since it saves so much of the work cutting!

    ReplyDelete

DINNER TIME! Dutch Oven Beef Stew

It can still get a little chilly at night here in Northern California. A hearty stew is just the thing to take the chill off. This reci...