The Deer Hunter - This Week's Chores


Chores this week: deadhead roses, trim back citrus trees growing into walkway, pull weeds.

No, I don't actually hunt them but it is tempting sometimes. 

Actually, I love living in an area where we get to mingle with wildlife. Deer, bears, rabbits, skunks, coyotes, squirrels, birds, possums, and racoons can be seen with regularity. The deer most of all.

During the drought, the deer found out they could make a much more hassle-free living by coming down out of the mountains and living at the foot of the hills behind our house. Why hunt for food when the people in the neighborhood grow all you want for free.

They found the rose gardens on our street...including the half dozen bushes in my front yard...and eat those tasty blooms before they can even open.


During my recent front yard landscape project, I also planted a dwarf nectarine tree. Guess who else likes the taste of nectarines. Well, at least the leaves and branches. 

I found evidence of deer damage and put a tomato cage around the sapling.  That wasn't going to work so I had to move it.


I dug up the plant.


I put it in a hole in my fenced-in backyard where I had recently removed a rotting camellia bush. Next, watered in with some vitamin B1 and done.


Now, I had a large hole in my new front yard landscape.


I went to Home Depot and bought this bright red crepe myrtle and planted it in it's place. 

I already have a pink crepe myrtle about five feet away that the deer leave alone. Hopefully, they'll find this bush just as unappetizing.

Darryl Musick
Copyright 2018 - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

DINNER TIME! Dutch Oven Beef Stew

It can still get a little chilly at night here in Northern California. A hearty stew is just the thing to take the chill off. This reci...